Saturday, February 22, 2014

A new student review of The Solar Sea by David Lee Summers

sunflower posted a new student review of The Solar Sea by David Lee Summers. See the full review.

I liked this book. I wouldn't say that it's the best book ever but it kept my attention. To be honest it was rather cliche as far as science fiction goes. The whole thing with the whales made me think of Star Trek IV The Voyage Home because that dealt an awful lot with aliens talking to whales. It actually was rather reminiscent of Stanly Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. In that they built the Jupiter VIII ship because Discovery told them to go on a trip to Jupiter. In this book they built a ship to go specifically to go to Saturn. Then there's the whole idea that making the ship spin will create gravity on the ship. That was probably the most cliche thing of all in the book. Other than that I thought that the book was very good. It had an easy to follow plot that even those who've never read science fiction could follow. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read.