Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wild At Heart by Michael Morpurgo

This book contains twenty-one animal stories, most being excerpts, written by the likes of Jack London, Oscar Wilde, and E.B. White. From a spider that saves a pig, to Noah and his ark, this book provides some well-known excerpts from "Charlotte's Web", "Noah's Ark", and "The Call of the Wild", to lesser known stories and authors. It also contains a non-fiction excerpt from Darwin's "The Voyage of the Beagle". There is also one poem at the beginning of the book, called "The Birds Began to Sing" by Janet Frame. All of the stories contain similar themes: animals.


This book bored me to death. Since all the stories were so short, none of the characters developed. To be honest, I never finished the book, since I was far enough into it that I realized that only a person forced to read this book would read it all the way through. I had trouble writing the above summary. I can't really blame it on the author, Michael Morpurgo, since all of the stories were written by other people but edited into one book by him, but the stories were very dull. I will mention that "The Snow Goose" by Paul Gallico was an improvement from the rest of the book. Rhayader and Frith both grow as characters in their own ways. The topic was interesting and relatively original. Compared to the rest of the stories, it's a masterpiece. It's so great I plan on one day getting the full story, since it was just an excerpt. Even the excerpt from Charlotte's Web can't save this book from dullness, though I praise the author for trying.

I wouldn't really suggest this book to anyone unless they were SERIOUSLY in love with animals, even though I am as well and I didn't enjoy it. Since most of the stories are mostly classics (such as Call of the Wild and Charlotte's Web), I guess a person interested in literature classics would be interested in the book as well.

Reviewer Age:12

Reviewer City, State and Country: Denton, Texas United States