Monday, October 14, 2013

A new student review of More Than This

VBat posted a new student review of More Than This . See the full review.

I loved More Than This. A mixture of mystery, sci-fi, drama and dystopia, the book is mind-bending  and full of suspense. 

The structure of More Than This is very interesting. I am not someone who typically cares too much about how a story is structured,  but the gradual peeling away of plot layers in this story kept me constantly on my toes as I waited to learn more about Seth's past, and what is really going on. Patrick Ness weaves hints about the truth throughout the book, and brings these hints back to mind (or destroys the prediction they cause) just as soon as you forget them. 

Due to the carefully structured nature of the plot, I feel as though it would take away from reader enjoyment if I commented too much on specific characters or events. However, all of the characters were likeable and realistic, and I felt their strong emotions right along with them. 

The ambiguous ending of the story left me with more questions than ever- but in a good way. Throughout the story, the reader is led to question what is real and what is not, and the ending fits perfectly with that focus. 

I would recommend More Than This to teenagers and young adults who enjoy sci-fi, mysteries, dramas, and suspense! Fans of The Hunger Games will appreciate Seth's survival in the empty world, and others will enjoy the drama of his past life.