Monday, March 18, 2013

A new student review of My Ex From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy Book One)

LISH0985 posted a new student review of My Ex From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy Book One) . See the full review.

What I liked:
Sophie Bloom is a sarcastic, spunky narrator who keeps the action rolling in the book. She is a refreshing version of a goddess. Usually goddesses are aloof, mean, cunning, manipulative, and sometimes nice. But Sophie represents all the things that I would look for if I decided to worship a Greek God. I love Sophie’s friends, too, who are just as sarcastic as
she is. Kai sounds evilly delicious and I just want to take a bite out of his character. The plot, while not original, plays out well and keeps me interested; it is refreshing in it’s own little way. Also the action doesn’t drag on, which can happen when the author gets to excited and into the novel.

What I didn’t like:
A good book describes the characters. This book hinted at a description. The author just scratched at the surface of the animosity between Sophie and Bethany and I was deeply interested to know why they hate each other so much, since Bethany is a part-time main character. Also, I would've like to have known the history between Felicia and Sophie. I understood that Felicia was a drunk and wasn’t always the most attentive mother, but until the end, when Sophie was traveling down the labyrinth,
I didn’t know that Felicia was cruel to Sophie, as well. The tension between Sophie and Kai could have been played up some more as well. In the story, it feels like they are two people who just met each other, with no hints at the past they really have.  Kai must know things about what Sophie was like when she was Persephone, but it never seems that way. I would have expected there to be more hints from them about what they knew about each other.   Another thing that I didn’t like is that the action moves too fast. Kai kisses her and "boom" - she knows who she is and how to use some of her powers. I would have liked if she gradually worked in the use of her powers. Sophie could have begun to experience dreams of her former life and have her powers start to act up in front of people at first. The battle scenes could have been drawn out more. We could have gotten to know Theo: his past, his sacrifice, and ultimately about his time imprisoned by Zeus and how he got free. And I feel like maybe Ms. Darling could have explained why Theo hates Kai so much.

Overall:
I give this book anywhere from a 4.3 to a 4.5. It kept me entertained and I didn’t want to put it down.