Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Aurelie by Heather Tomlinson

This is a faerie tale story about Aurelie and her friends and among them, a river dragon. These friends share a very unusual talent; they can see magical creatures. But one day, their secret gift is exposed, and everything changes in their world. The story evolves as the friends grow up and loose touch with each other. But when war threatens Princess Aurelie's country, she needs to reunite with her childhood friends to save the day and their friendship.

Aurelie is a novel of magic, adventure, friendship and romance. Tomlinson did a nice job creating a completely new world of creatures and places. Being a total faerie tale fan, Aurelie was right up my alley. I immediately liked the main character, Aurelie, for her confidence, bravery and wit. The plot was exciting and the twists kept me interested the whole time. I liked the characters, but I wish that Tomlinson had developed the personalities and their relationships with a little bit more detail and color. Sometimes parts were too predictable, and lacked background. But in the end, I thought Aurelie was an entertaining faerie tale, and I hope there will be a sequel or perhaps a prequel.

Reviewer Age:17

Reviewer City, State and Country: Phoenix, MD United States