Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Looks

Meet Meghan, that is, if you can spot her. Even though she's enormously overweight, Meghan is practically invisible to everyone around her. Everyone except for J-Bar, who has been relentlessly tormenting her since junior high. Now meet Aimee Zorn. She has the opposite problem as Meghan, anorexia having made her rail thin. Despite her size, (or maybe because of it) poet Aimee is seen by perfectly peppy Cara Roy, who convinces Aimee to join the literature club. Meghan wants nothing more than to befriend Aimee, and a hate for one particular girl brings them together.

This beautifully written book is very true to life. While reading it, I could easily pick out the Aimee, Meghan, Cara, and J-Bar at my school. Madeleine George did an amazing job making all of the characters seem alive and I often had to remind myself that I'm not Aimee or Meghan. Although this book was slightly predictable, the poetic style in which Looks was written makes up for the plot. This book was fun to read and I will definitely read Looks again.

Rating: 10/10

Reviewer Age:12

Reviewer City, State and Country: Phoenixville, PA