Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A new student review of The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan

dancechicka posted a new student review of The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan. See the full review.

When I first started this series, I felt as if I had taken a chance—the plot a little unconventional, borderline atypical, the type of plot that could easily be dismissed as odd, angsty, gothic nonsense within the first few chapters if not written correctly.  However, I am happy to say I am glad I let myself take that chance.  This book was very solid, and, unlike some other sequels, a good follow-up from its predecessor, The Beautiful and the Cursed.  The characters’ developed well-- Gabby, who I (at first) judged as shallow and factious, developed into a strong, independent warrior with an iron will and a fiery heart.  Grayson, the tortured and guilt-ridden brother, also added a different complex to the plot. However, our Lady Ingrid seemed too wishy-washy and immature--she couldn’t make up her mind! It was almost as if she and Gabby switched roles.  Before reading this novel, I would definitely recommend reading The Beautiful and the Cursed (the first installment of the Dispossessed series), as it helps make this sequel more enjoyable and easier to understand.  The plot ended with a good cliffhanger that definitely set up the third book well to keep the reader interested and entertained.  With deception, drama, dysfunction, and Morgan’s unique, flowing prose that is rarely paralleled, I look forward to continuing to read and enjoy her works.

“If anyone knew what he’d done in London….they would realize he shouldn’t be hunting anything.  They would realize they should be hunting him.”

I would recommend this book for ages ten and up, for minor expletives, slightly morbid themes, violence, and mentions of intimacy.

Will Ingrid, Gabby, Grayson, Luc, and the Alliance all come out unscathed and get what they most desire in the end?  Read Page Morgan’s The Lovely and the Lost to find out!