Monday, June 15, 2015

A new student review of Dinosaur Eggs and Blue Ribbons: Science Fairs Inside and Out by Barnas Monteith

nictaf posted a new student review of Dinosaur Eggs and Blue Ribbons: Science Fairs Inside and Out by Barnas Monteith. See the full review.

This was not the book I thought it would be.  I was hoping it would be suggestions for different science fair projects and tips for how to make boards and themes ‘pop‘ for judges.  Instead, it was a monologue about Barney’s experiences.  I did not find it interesting, especially when it was difficult to know which age he was during each description; it did not seem to go chronologically.  The farther into the book I got, the more confusing it was to try to figure out if he was in high school, college, or working as an adult.  It sounded more like a brag book than a science fair book.  If I were to give him any tips to make this better, I would suggest that it be written more chronologically, more kid-friendly (talking to a twelve-year-old, not a high-schooler), and make it more interesting, not just about his one project over and over.