Sunday, July 13, 2014

A new student review of Caught Between Two Curses by Margo Dill

AlexaS posted a new student review of Caught Between Two Curses by Margo Dill. See the full review.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Caught Between Two Curses. I found it to be a quick, albeit fun, read, and I could relate to the realistic characters. I especially liked Julie’s family: her aunt and uncle, her grandmother, and her little cousin, Stevie. I loved the development of Julie’s family throughout the novel, and how they grew closer and stronger as a result of curse. Additionally, my favorite character overall was Julie’s best friend, Matt. He was a great love interest, immediately likable as well as cute and caring. Julie and Matt’s friendship was also awesome; I loved how open they were with each other. Furthermore, although I’m not a huge baseball fan, I liked how the author incorporated the real-life “Curse of the Billy Goat” with Julie’s fictional curse.

However, my main problem with Caught Between Two Curses was probably the curse itself. Although information was given on the origin of the curse, I would have liked more details about the magic surrounding the curse. Additionally, I found the resolution of the curse to be slightly anti-climatic and predictable. I also thought that Julie was a bit too focused on boys. She wanted to have a boyfriend senior year no matter what, even if she was in an unhealthy relationship. However, Julie grows a lot throughout the book, and ends up making wise decisions.

In sum, Caught Between Two Curses is a well-written, engaging read—even if it’s a bit predictable. I would recommend Caught Between Two Curses to anyone fond of cute romances, contemporaries, paranormal mysteries, or baseball. As sex is mentioned fairly frequently, I would also recommend that only people ages thirteen and up should read it.