Monday, June 30, 2014

A new student review of The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson

ViviB posted a new student review of The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson. See the full review.

 

I liked this book. The plot, though it began slowly, morphed into an intriguing story that I followed and enjoyed a lot. The suspense and mystery combined with the humor of a teenage coming-of-age story and a bit of romance was wonderful.

 

Laila was also a likable character. She was intelligent and interesting, with a touch of haughtiness reminiscent of her royal life. I thought that she was very well-developed, as were Bastien, her mother, and the people from her home country, like Amir. The American characters were somewhat one-dimensional, even though I grew to like Ian and Emmy, friends that she had in the U.S.

 

The ending was a proper one for this book, even though it might not have fully satisfied some. I thought that the writing had just the right amount of descriptiveness and told a compelling tale through first-person narration.

 

The Tyrant's Daughter was a story that I will not forget easily. It was honest, realistic, and unique, and I would recommend it to anyone who would like to read a deeper, more thought-provoking story. Though it is a young adult book, I think that adults could benefit from reading this just as much as teenagers would.