Friday, October 23, 2009

Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga

When Kyra Sellers spends six months in the Maryland Mental Health Unit after trying to kill herself, she never gets one email or phone call from the person she wanted to talk to the most: Fanboy. When she gets home, she is angry that Fanboy never tried to contact her and wants revenge. When she goes to school again, she finds out that the secret comic that she and Fanboy had created has been published. Once she sees Fanboy again, she barely recognizes him. He has changed everything about himself. Kyra thinks of many different ways to get back at Fanboy for all of the pain he caused her while she was away. While trying to get revenge, many things happen that she doesn't understand. By the end of the book, Kyra realizes that she has to deal with life, and everything makes sense again.

I liked the book Goth Girl Rising because I could picture everything that was happening. I could see what Kyra was going through in the book. Goth Girl Rising made me realize how different some teens' lives are. The problems that Kyra had to face would have been hard for me too. I found this book interesting and exciting because I never knew what would happen next. From reading this book, I learned that everyone has to go through something rough in their life. The way you handle your problems, though, is what changes things.

Goth Girl Rising talks about drugs, sex, and lesbians. It talks about Kyra cutting her wrists and wanting to commit suicide.

Reviewer Age:13

Reviewer City, State and Country: Nokomis , Illinois United States