Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A new student review of The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice )

alphatauri posted a new student review of The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice ) . See the full review.

This book was a welcome surprise for me since I thought that the Ranger’s Apprentice series had ended with Book 11, The Lost Stories. To my delight, I found a completely new adventure! This marks the first time in which Will acts as a mentor, and it’s such a refreshing change to see his journey come full circle. John Flanagan did a perfect job characterising Will as a mentor. The titular Royal Ranger’s transformation was also detailed very well. At the beginning of the book, she’s a spoiled brat, but soon begins to learn important skills and metamorphoses into a bold girl. Her and Will’s relationship also changed from icy to heartwarming. One notable feature about the book is that Halt and Horace don’t play a key role in it, but I loved how this symbolised the changing of the guard.  The writing is in the style that is to be expected of Flanagan--although, in this volume, I wish he’d show a bit more rather than telling. Overall, this was an action-packed book that distinguishes itself from other volumes in the series, and it will make you hope for more new adventures in the series. I highly recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of some good medieval fantasy!