Thursday, December 26, 2013

A new student review of Loud Awake and Lost by Adele Griffin

JesusFreak posted a new student review of Loud Awake and Lost by Adele Griffin. See the full review.

What first intrigued me to pick this book up was the cover artwork, which is absolutely beautiful.  When I started to read the book, it was actually quite good.  I was waiting to see what would happen to the main character and how she would figure out what she should do, but I soon found that after ten chapters it did not pick up.  It continued on and on in description and there was hardly any action.  I frequently had to remind myself to pick up the book and force myself to read it.

Another problem is that Ember was not a very likeable character for me; I could not relate to her or like her in any way possible, which was a big problem for me.  I would like to be able to relate to the main character and to connect with her/him in some way.  Ember was too hard on her parents most of the time, and I found that very rude of her.

The one thing I did like about this book was that it put a phrase of the chapter into the chapter title.  It was a bit fun to read those and try to guess what sentence they would go in with the chapter.