Monday, August 12, 2013

A new student review of Pie in the Sky by Jane Smiley

moseso posted a new student review of Pie in the Sky by Jane Smiley. See the full review.

Pie in the Sky is a slower book so, if you like slower books or love horses, this is the book for you!  If not however, I would advise you to avoid reading this book.  My overall opinion about ‘Pie in the Sky’ is that frankly, it was boring.  I found myself thinking about other books I’ve previously read and I daydreamed some as well.   Jane Smiley made the characters seem almost real, but not real enough that I could imagine them walking through my front door, when some other books do. It takes a long time for the plot to develop. By the time you’re into the exciting stuff the reader is already three fourths through the book!  Jane Smiley’s voice is hard to explain, it doesn’t really fit into a category.  The author might have reached her goal if I knew what it was; the purpose of Pie in the Sky was never made clear.  My overall rating is 2 and a half, but I had to do a 3 star rating.  I really did not learn anything from the book.  I would recommend a 12 and higher reading age since the main character deals with going into high school.