Thursday, December 01, 2011

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann




13 year old Alex is an Unwanted. Therefore he is doomed to die.  Or so he and the rest of the country of Quill think. But the Unwanteds are taken to the magical world of Artime, home to decades of Unwanteds. There they learn to use art magic, as a harmless tool and as a deadly weapon. When Alex makes the mistake of contacting someone in Quill, he puts Artime in grave danger. Can Alex save his newfound home and friends? He has one chance to try, or they ll be gone, forever.

I ll admit this book was quite original. Its characters were deep and relatable. It s plot was new and like nothing I d ever seen before. However, it didn' t really enrapture me.  I mean it was far from boring, but it didn' t really make me want to sit down and read it the moment I had time to. I figured out most of the plot partway through the book and spent the most of the rest of the book waiting for the main character to figure it out. I recommend this to almost any reader who loves art, magic, giant flying tortoises, and giant flying cheetahs. (Who wouldn 't, right?)


Reviewer Age:12
Reviewer City, State and Country: Rockwell, IA USA