Saturday, April 02, 2011

All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz

Roar (Short for Aurora) is a city girl at heart, even though a year ago her father uprooted her to become an organic farmer in the middle of nowhere. Life is simple there and she is becoming ok with that. Then she witnesses a car accident that results in the death of a migrant farm worker, Sylvia, and everything changes. Now her dad is trying to fight the system and causing trouble. To make matters worse Roar develops a crush on the new boy, but his mother hit Sylvia. Plus roar is still haunted by her mother's disappearance. Roars simple farm life just got complicated.

When I first read the back cover and learned that Roar was a city turned farm girl I was skeptical. Uprooting to a new life is a standard plot line. I was expecting the book to be cheesy and predictable. I was wrong. The first chapter hooked me in, after the car accident I couldn't wait to know what happened next. The plot kept me turning the pages but the characters kept me invested. Roar was funny and relatable. I loved the fact that she took pictures of everything, always carrying a camera around her neck. Storm, Roars rebel best friend, was a nice quirky addition. Overall the characters and plot were interesting and made me want to see more from Yvonne Prinz.

Reviewer Age:17
Reviewer City, State and Country: Amherst, MA US