Monday, October 10, 2016

A new student review of The Surrendered by Case Maynard

JesusFreak posted a new student review of The Surrendered by Case Maynard. See the full review.

The first thing that made me want to read this book was the beautiful cover art. I recognized the artist almost immediately as one who makes fan-made edits, as well as book covers. I love the way the girl stands just outside the fence with her back facing the cover. It’s a really great cover.
The first chapter grabbed me right from the start. I was immediately intrigued as to what might happen next, and how the author would grow the world. Unfortunately, I think that the book was just too short for me to really get a sense of the universe. What descriptions of the world I did get were very well put, however I just felt that, had the story been longer, it would have given me more insight as to how the world worked and all the interesting themes about it.
The main character, Vee, was a very stubborn but likeable character. She wasn’t stubborn so as to annoy, but stubborn enough that she didn’t back down easily. I felt that she obeyed only when she absolutely had to, but tried to do what she thought was right at all times.
Overall, this book had an interesting storyline and an amazing protagonist, however I think it should have been longer to fully immerse the reader in the world.