Friday, May 08, 2015

A new student review of The Beast of Cretacea

jotaf posted a new student review of The Beast of Cretacea . See the full review.

I thought that The Beast of Cretacea was a great book.  I liked the way the author, Todd Strasser, described the characters and the different worlds.  Also, I thought that most of the characters were believable, in the sense that they could easily be alive and real.  A part in the book that I thought was funny was when, on the first day, Charity told the kids not to eat too much because their stomachs hadn’t adjusted and they would puke it up if they did.  Well, one of the kids didn’t listen and spent the whole night in the bathroom throwing up.  One of the things that I liked and didn’t like about this book was that a lot of the characters used lots of sailor and pirate talk.  This made a lot of their sentences hard to understand, but it added a lot more authenticity.  Another thing that I didn't like about this book was that it felt like the ending was a bit rushed.  The way it was starting to go I was wondering if there would be a book two, but it finished in ten pages.  If the author had given it fifteen pages more or so, it would have made for a better ending and could have answered the rest of my questions.  I would recommend this book to ages eleven and up, or to anyone who is a fan of Moby Dick.