Sunday, May 01, 2011

Shadowspell by Jenna Black


After it's discovered that Dana is a Faeriewalker, one who can bring magic into the human world and human technology into the Faerie world, she is the target of both assasins and abductors. Her father, an important Fae politician, keeps her under lock and key, and she can't go anywhere without a bodyguard. Naturally, however, Dana still manages to get into trouble, which culminates when she meets the Erlking and his Huntsmen. The Erlking, whose pleasure in life is to hunt mortals and Faeries, wants Dana's powers and will do anything to get them. Will Dana be able to outwit the Erlking, or is she just another pawn in this game of politics and court intrigue?
I was so excited to get my hands on Shadowspell because I absolutely adored its predecessor, Glimmerglass. I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but this series is really good. Dana, the main character, is only part Faerie, so she acts like a normal human teenager and thinks like my friends and I do. Regardless of her human characteristics, she is still a very strong and courageous character, and even when she gets herself into sticky situations, she is still willing to figure out how to save the day. A lot of the mayhem involves a new character, the Erlking. I really liked the parts with him because he is evil but actually seems pretty nice sometimes. It is an interesting dichotomy. All in all, I really enjoyed Shadowspell and I think all fans of fantasy will agree. I'm also excited to see what happens to Dana in the next book, Sirensong.
Reviewer Age:19
Reviewer City, State and Country: Aston, Pennsylvania United States