Wednesday, August 04, 2010

"Noah's Castle" by John Rowe Townsend

Noah's Castle is a great fiction thriller filled with the suspense that something is about to happen. A few decades after the Great Depression in England, Barry Mortimer and his family find that the cost of living is skyrocketing out of control. This dilemma not only affects Barry's family, but the entire country of England as well. Barry's family is faced with the fear of a second great depression and Barry realizes that his father is spending hours down in the cellar without anyone knowing what he is doing.

In this well-woven story, Barry is faced with choices that could change his life forever. Townsend's characters seem to come alive in this breathtaking story and reveal how truly terrifying life can sometimes be. While reading Noah's Castle, I found myself on the edge of my seat and turning each page quickly.I think this story will intrigue many pre-teen readers interested in historical fiction with a suspenseful twist. There was a good balance of detailed information in Noah's Castle. When I closed my eyes, I could easily imagine the setting and characters. The characters act and speak so realistically that they seem alive, and the setting, time, and place appear very accurate. However, this book is characterized by an unrealistic chain of events. At times, it seems like too many things are happening, one after the other. Also, I hoped for a more captivating ending.

Reviewer Age:11
Reviewer City, State and Country: Akron, Ohio United States of America