Friday, November 06, 2009

We Are the Weather Maker by Tim Flannery

I have recently read We are the Weather Makers by Tim Flannery. This book is an expository selection about the history of climate change, past effects of it, future events to come as a response to global warming, and what we are going to do about it. The book consists of three parts, all of which I have read. Part One, Earth and the Carbon Connection, is about the history of climate change. Part two, Endangered Habitats, is about species of plants and animals that have been driven extinct as a consequence of global warming, and species that are going to if the rate it is developing stays the same. Part three, What's to Come?, is about what could happen to our planet, how scientists figured this out, and multiple solutions to climate change and their pros and cons. One feature in this book that I adored was the Call to Actions. They were at the end of each chapter, and were things that young adults could do to help this problem in our own homes and hometowns.

I rated part one three out of ten, because although effective in getting the little points and big picture around to me, it went about doing that in a boring way. There are a lot of long scientific words to be memorized and, you have to reread almost the whole thing from time to time. Often I would find myself reading a paragraph in it three or four times before I got what it was saying! I rate the second part an eight out of ten. This was my favorite part of the book. It wasn’t boring, it vividly described what happened/would happen in the future to threatened species, and rereading was minimal for me. I rated the third and final part six out of ten. It had some boring parts, and some parts I had to reread, but it also had some really interesting chapters about renewable energy, environmentally safe cars, nuclear power plants, and groups that have taken action. One feature in this book that I adored was the Call to Actions, short articles at the end of each chapter talking about things that young adults could do to help this global warming in our own homes and hometowns. So overall, the first part is horrible, although I ensure it is worth your time to fully read parts two and three, and read all the Call to Actions!

Reviewer Age:12

Reviewer City, State and Country:
Leawood, Kansas Johnson