Saturday, November 07, 2009

Chanda's Wars by Allan Stratton

Chanda will do anything to keep a promise. She promised her mother she would take care of her family. She promised her sibilings, Iris and Soly, that she would not let anything happen to them. War is brewing in a neighboring country, so Chanda goes back to the town where her mother was born. Here Chanda faces the unthinkable, Soly and Iris are kidnapped to be child soldiers. Chanda and Nelson, a local boy, must track down the army to rescue her family and keep Chanda's promise.

Honestly, I enjoyed this book. However, some of the events were hard to connect to. Never in my life have I imagined having an arranged marriage to someone I just barely know. I would have never had the courage to follow an army of rebel soldiers to rescue my family. I believe that is why Chanda is such a good lead. Chanda has the courage to raise her family alone in a city and drop out of school to help support her brother and sister. Even when Chanda is tracking down her family with Nelson, she somehow manages to keep a cool head. And she also finds love along the way.

Reviewer Age:14
Reviewer City, State and Country: Brownsburg, Indiana USA