Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Love is the higher law

"Love is the Higher Law" is the story of three teenagers: Claire, Jasper, and Peter. They all live in New York City at the time of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centers. Each is affected in a different way. This book tells the tale of how they coped and how their lives were forever changed by the events on that fateful Tuesday morning.

This book was extremely well-written. I have always been intrigued by books written about 9/11 and this was by far the best fictional account of the attacks I have ever read. David Levithan creates depth in his characters, something I find extremely rare and hard to accomplish. I felt a lot of sympathy for Claire, Jasper, and Peter, as all their worlds got flipped upside down. The book asks the ever-interesting question, "Where were you when the plane hit the first tower?" Levithan has written a wonderful and heart-wrenching novel that I will surely read again and again. I would recommend this for anyone who was old enough to remember the attacks, but too young to grasp the meaning, just like I was. At the time, I didn't realize the magnitude of the attacks and this book has helped me realize just how bad it was. An instant classic.

Many instances of harsh language (including the f-bomb) and several sexual scenes.

Reviewer Age:15

Reviewer City, State and Country: Westerville, OH United States