Friday, December 12, 2008

Jesse Bowman: A Union Boy's War Story
This historical fiction book starts out on the night of April 21, 1861. While attending a meeting, two boys, Jesse Bowman and Harlow Basset, saw the Zovare soldiers for the first time. That's when Jesse and Harlow decided they wanted to become soldiers and fight in the Civil War to help protect the Union. They went to the head desk on Darbon Street. Immediately they too signed up to join the army. They rode a train to the campsite and saw a big pine tree, which was the marking for their campsite. At first, camping out and living outside was adventurous. After a while they found out about the hardship of the war. Losing people you care about and being wounded are some of the difficulties of war. Even though becoming a soldier was not as exactly as planned. Jesse feels proud of his accomplishments.

I liked this book because it was very detailed. The descriptions made me feel as if I were right along beside them fighting in the civil war. I felt as if I could reach out and touch them. It made me wonder how I would want to be brave and stand up for things I believe in but would probably be scared and homesick, too. I love history books and this one will go on my list as a favorite. I recommend it for students in grades 3-6.

Reviewer Age:12Leopold, Mo United States of America