Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Unbearable Book for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher



When I first picked up The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls, I wasn 't at all sure how it would turn out. Some of the topics brought up at the beginning were heavy and I worried it would be a depressing book. This novel, told in first person, and written as an essay for school, is from the perspective of Adrienne Haus, a pretty much average girl (or at least she thinks so) who is stuck in a knee brace and forced to join an unbearable book club for girls.  The book club in question has some of the most mismatched girls in all of West New Hope: CeeCee, the slightly snobby, incredibly blunt and somewhat rude girly girl, Jill, the adopted, responsible and academic one, and Wallis, mysterious and quiet, the one no one knows anything about, the only one who actually wants to be in the book club and, of course, Adrienne.
The one thing that intrigued me the most, was the characters. They are all different, and not friends in the least, yet it s not difficult to read their story, to understand all of the girls feelings, at least once in the novel. I think that Julie Shumacher has created a wonderfully unique book, like nothing I ve ever read! My favorite character is Adrienne, because I can fully relate to her inthe way that she feels about being a part of the books she reads, and feeling like the outsider, the one no one can place. I also liked how Wallis wanted to be part of the book club, how everyone thought she was kind of strange, and I understand the feeling of worry that you are younger than everyone else. I like the mixture of family drama, teen angst, new friendship, and mystery because it added a bittersweet true to life touch.  This was one of those stories where you feel like you are the characters, living their lives with them. The writing style is comfortable to read, one that I enjoyed a lot. Most of all I like how the characters perspectives change. Although they still stay themselves, and maybe even figure out more about who they are, the girls see things through a different stand point, and I like that a lot. They change, but they stay themselves. The ending was a bit rough, but I still think it was a satisfying story through and through.
There are some mild sexual references, along with drug, alcoholic, and smoking references.
Reviewer Age:14
Reviewer City, State and Country: Sandy, Oregon United States