Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Heir to Power: Book 1 by Michele Poague

Kairma lives in the colony of Survin. She is to be the next holder of the Crystal and will be in charge of healing her fellow colonists. Naturi will be her mate, and other girls, including her sister, wish that the handsome man could be their own mate. Kairma has different interests, however. She enjoys spending time with her brother and his friend Collin. Together, they explore an area in the mountain and come across a room filled with treasures left by the Ancient Ones. The gene pool of Survin is failing, and the colony will fall soon if people from outside cannot join. Will Kairma become the colony's next leader, or will her lack of interest promote her younger sister Kinter to the task of restoration?

I have always like fantasy novels, and this book does the genre justice. I like how modern technology, such as keyboards, is incorporated into the treasures of the Ancient Ones. Kairma's dilemmas grasp my attention as I turn from page to page and wonder if she will spend time with Collin and her brother or go study with her grandmother. I enjoyed reading her internal conflicts about the men in her life and who she really wants to mate with. The book is well written, and the imagery is fabulous. It makes it very easy for me to watch the novel in my head like a movie. I cannot wait to read the second book in the series, and I recommend it to others who enjoy fantasy novels.

Rating: 9

Reviewer Age:17

Reviewer City, State and Country: Carlisle, Pennsylvania United States of America