Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A new student review of Our Wild and Precious Lives by A.G. Russo

Sweetfable posted a new student review of Our Wild and Precious Lives by A.G. Russo. See the full review.

I thought this book was a very interesting and engaging read. From the very beginning, I felt immersed in the world the characters were living in, even though I have never lived in a situation anywhere close to the one Tom and Melly found themselves in.

That is the great thing about books like this one. I had the opportunity to feel like I lived in a different time than my own, and felt that I could have easily been in this difficult situation myself. The characters' problems were so realistic. They helped the reader understand that the difficulties the characters endured are universal.

An aspect of the novel I enjoyed was the military terms used; I learned a thing or two from reading the terminology. Although, at times it was a bit difficult for me to keep track of all of these terms. The same thing was true of the characters. They were all very interesting, but it was hard to remember who was who at times. However, I found myself invested emotionally in these characters, and really enjoyed learning about their lives and their struggles.

The one thing that I could really connect to in the novel was the experience of having a sibling that you love. I know exactly what it is like when you rely on your sibling for support and even protection. This is one of the most special feelings in the world. After reading this book, readers with siblings will be able to relate to the incredible bond and trust between siblings. For those who don't have any, the bond will still be understood.