Saturday, July 05, 2014

A new student review of Scared Stiff: Everything You Need to Know About 50 Famous Phobias by Latta Sara

erh454 posted a new student review of Scared Stiff: Everything You Need to Know About 50 Famous Phobias by Latta Sara. See the full review.

To exemplify the contents in this book, I will give a highlight about Gephyrophobia, the fear of crossing bridges. In this section, I learned that "Gephyophobia" derives from the two Greeks words "gephura," meaning "bridge," and "phobos," meaning "fear." I also learned that this fear can come from the fear of heights as well as the fear of being trapped. Gephyrophobes, even at the thought of crossing a bridge, can have a panic attack. Usually Gephyrophobia can occur when a person experiences a traumatic event pertaining to bridges, such as witnessing someone commit suicide off of one. This is only a small chunk of this section, so wait to see what's in store in the whole book! I hope you enjoy this great read by Sara Latta.

This book is absolutely amazing. In the book, Sara Latta connects with readers in a very personal way and tries to make them feel comfortable. Some examples of her doing this is when she uses very informal language (not anything profane, though) to relax and "welcome" the reader and even connects the contents of her book to her own life while still remaining serious and informative. I believe that Latta achieved her goal with writing this book, which was to inform as well as entertain her readers. Certainly, she achieved this with me! I do not see any weaknesses in this book. It lists 50 famous phobias and contains as much information as possible for each one, just like Latta intended. As it can be inferred by my positive review on her book, I would highly recommend this book to anyone, from my little sister to the librarian at my school. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!