Monday, January 13, 2014

A new student review of Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences

vbobrocks posted a new student review of Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences . See the full review.

Yansky’s Alien Invasion was an enjoyable read that I found hard to put down once I got into it.  The plot was well thought out and kept my attention throughout the novel.  My only real issue was that there was a lack of emotion from the characters; it was hard to relate to them.  If I were Jesse, enslaved to aliens with terrifying telepathic powers, I would be fighting off constant panic attacks mixed with bouts of rage.  Plus, he lost everyone and everything he cared about, a situation that would call for a good helping of grief; grief that wasn’t really present in the novel.  Also, the beginning was slightly choppy; I found myself wondering how the story got from point A to point B a few times, but it quickly improved.  I enjoyed Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences and I am looking forward to reading the sequel; the novel was definitely one for middle school sci-fi fans to put on their reading lists.