Friday, May 10, 2013

A new student review of Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences

R. Mae posted a new student review of Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences . See the full review.

 

Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences was a unique cliché. First of all, the actual base idea of aliens invading earth and controlling everyone with their minds is cliché. The storyline was also cliché, and so was most of the humor. Although the aliens were little green guys, they were one of the things not cliché. How they were mostly human like was very interesting and I felt like I was reading a history book by the way they ‘colonized’ the earth. I did not like the writing style. It sped up and slowed down and was very inconsistent.

The Plot: It’s been done before, escaping alien slavers and joining a rebellion force. That has been done a lot.

The Characters: They were original. They were realistic, even though I found Jesse annoying, and interesting. They took alien invasion rather well, especially Jesse. He seemed not at all fazed. Their humor, as I mentioned above, was annoying. In the act of trying to be witty the book seemed more obnoxious. The aliens were better. They were funny in their own way, and they bordered on delightful. That was one of the unique parts, the aliens not being total monsters or oblivious.

The Standout: I don’t like it when the standout is negative, but this one was. I did not like the jerky way this book was worded. Some people may enjoy that, but it’s not for me. It was done in a way that is jumped from thought to thought, and the descriptions were so overused that it was depressing. There were great things about this book., but the wording just ruined it for me.