Thursday, February 21, 2013

A new student review of Death, Doom, and Detention

R. Mae posted a new student review of Death, Doom, and Detention . See the full review.

 

Darynda Jones, who is an expert YA writer, happens to have a thing for cliff hangers. I was absolutely thrilled by Darynda's sequel to Death and the Girl Next Door. Of all the possible ways to antagonize me, she ended with a cliff hanger! Of course, I do really love a cliff hanger...

Lorelei proved to be an excellent MC once again, her epic humor and choice in friends was perfect. Brooke is still my favorite character, although I feel Glitch is just as oblivious as ever. The characters in Death, Doom and Detention really add to the story, fighting invincible monsters could get boring without some fun. I was impressed by the plot in Death and the Girl Next Door, but the plot in this one practically threw me off my feet. I love action.  I don't think you can ever have enough action in a book, but silliness really makes up for it where it is lacked. I think Lorelei could get into a couple more scrapes in the next book *crosses fingers*, but I will survive if she doesn't.

To sum it up, I continue to love Darynda Jones' beautiful writing, and I think I always will!