Friday, January 16, 2009

Lay-ups and Longshots by Joseph Bruchac

This book is about different people's experiences with sports. The stories range from having difficulties playing the sport to how they got treated on the team. There were also stories about how they found confidence in themselves. The author’s purpose was to entertain the reader with stories of other peoples’ experiences. The author did this by having different stories about various sports to keep us hooked and excited for a new story.

This book was interesting because the writers have all kinds of stories. I liked how the author used detail to give me a picture in my head. My favorite story was when a guy could never make two baskets in a row. But when he asked if his grandpa was going to live he made a couple shots in a row. I would recommend this book to people who like realistic fiction and sports. If you like short stories, read this book.

Flamingnet student reviewer
age: 15 St. Paul, MN.