Monday, December 08, 2008

Gankutsuou 1: The Count of Monte Cristo

Albert is a young Parisian who is vacationing on the moon. His friend Franz is accompanying him, but he cannot seem to keep Albert out of trouble. Albert decides to follow a man, finding out later that the man is the Count of Monte Cristo. Albert is instantly intrigued and fascinated by him, but does not know what the Count’s intentions are. Apparently, betrayal was committed against the Count years ago, and now he seeks revenge for it, planning that Albert’s parents, and the entirety of Paris, will feel his wrath soon.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo was a very different kind of story to read. I have never read the actual story of The Count of Monte Cristo, and this manga made me want to read it. At first I thought that the characters were drawn strangely and looked incomplete. As I read on, though, I got used to the images and they seemed to be drawn exactly how they should be for this certain story. Overall, the plotline was great. It moved quickly and kept my attention. I was confused a few times, due to the quantity of characters and events that take place. I recommend people who have read The Count of Monte Cristo or people who like manga to read this book.

Rating: 7
Reviewer Age:15
Reviewer City, State and Country: Carlisle, Pennsylvania United States of America