Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Black Dragon Codex by R. D. Henham

Black Dragon Codex is a very interesting adventure book. It starts with a bang, and the beginning really holds the reader's interest. However, after that, there is a lull of action and it is quite boring for awhile. Then, the end is also very exciting.
The two main characters in this book are Satia, a girl taken by a dragon, and Septimus, the black dragon that snatches Satia. An evil wizard named Thordane captures Septimus's mother, who transforms Septimus into a boy. Now, Septimus and Satia are together, and they make a pact that they will help rescue Septimus's mother, and Septimus will, in return, take her home. In order to find out what happens next you must read Black Dragon Codex.

In my opinion, the book Black Dragon Codex is a fairly exciting story. One thing I especially like about this book is how, in the action-packed parts, you can't wait to turn the page. Also, I like how the book starts out with a bang, and that makes you want to continue reading it. Another thing I enjoyed about this book was how it varies the main focus. At some points, it concentrates on Septimus, while at other points, the main character is Satia. This is nice, because it gives the story two different perspectives.
There were quite a few things I did not enjoy about this book. I did not like how during the middle of the book, there was very little action and excitement. Also, the author never made me feel like I was one of the characters in the book. I liked Bronze Dragon Codex much better than Black Dragon Codex. Overall, I wouldn't say this book is great, but it is surely not a bad book.

Reviewer Age:13

Reviewer City, State and Country: Baltimore, Maryland United States of America