Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pish Posh by Ellen Potter

Pish Posh is the place to be in New York City. Superstars and wannabes dine at the aptly named restaurant, craving attention and enjoying the fabulous food. Each person secretly hopes that he or she will not be deemed the next Nobody, and everyone there fears the person who would deliver that verdict: an eleven year old little girl. Clara Frankofile, daughter of the Pish Posh owners and chef, wears a black dress everyday (she has hundreds of the same outfit) and looks down on people through her tinted sunglasses. What she says goes. An actress who walked in as the It Girl may be declared a Nobody before she is done with her meal.

Though I like Ellen Potter's Olivia Kidney series, I found myself wanting more from Pish Posh than I ultimately got. It begins as a sarcastic take on society and celebrity, which I liked, but the focus changed not once but twice before the story was through. Based on the jacket summary, I thought I was in for a cross between the book So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld and the film To Catch a Thief, as Clara befriends a girl barely older than her who is a jewel thief. It then became a story about past lives, in a way. I won't spoil the ending, but I will say it fell a little short of my expectations. Still, Potter delivers descriptive and funny writing, and I'll certainly continue to pick up her novels.

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 6
Reviewer Age: 23